Subject: Re: Rockbox Intellectual Property question
From: Kjell Ericson (Kjell.Ericson_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-05-20

On Tue, 20 May 2003, ds2list wrote:

> so that a company like Apple/Creative would think twice before copying a new
> Rockbox feature to an I-Pod or Nomad?

It's not really within my philosophy to protect others to copy Rockbox
features just because they sell things (we're talking ideas, not code). If
you want to control who can implement Talkbox, then you should patent it...

> Or is the philosophy of the project to allow this kind of "borrowing"?

I would say that idea borrowing is all okey. After all, we have borrowed a
lot of ideas ourself...

> Are unique features of an open-source project "patentable" by the project?

If it is unique then why not? (don't know every patent law that exist though).
But having it Open Source and spread around the world will make it harder for
anyone else to claim and hold that patent.

I haven't tried the Talkbox in my player, but is the core idea much different
from elevators telling which floor you are at? ;-)

...not saying that even that wouldn't be patentable in some countries :-)

  // Kjelle