Subject: Re: help please (in return for a small donation)
From: Steve Petersen (spetey_at_umich.edu)
Date: 2003-05-20

Thanks for the quick responses!

lee donaghy wrote:
>> 1. How do I get optical recording (on my Recorder 20) to work? It
>> just doesn't seem to register input at all when I choose such a
>> source. I'm trying to record from my CD player's optical out.
>

> you will need to convert the optical into an electrical digital
> signal.

I don't understand... it's already an (optical) digital signal, right?
How does Archos claim that is an "optical" input if it doesn't actually
read it in *optical* format? I know it's possible for hardware to
record off this signal, my MiniDisc player does it. I expected Archos
was advertising the same capability... ?

>> 3. Speakers setting... I noticed the rockbox sound seems strangely
>> "centered" when I play it in the car stereo, and I seem to
>> remember seeing somewhere something about a different setting for
>> playing out through regular speakers?
>

> Select the Channels option in the Sound settings. There you will find
> Stereo Wide among other choices.

Ah, that's just what I was thinking of, I knew I'd heard of it somewhere.

Thanks again for your help, and for great work!
Steve