Subject: Re: Length of Players' strings in language files

Re: Length of Players' strings in language files

From: Kjell Ericson <Kjell.Ericson_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:00:29 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> > Yes, the newly implemented LANG_SHOWDIR_ERROR_BUFFER in tree.c.
>
> This of course is a reason to question such a text display.

Agree. It is a nasty error display.
It just brought my eyes into this problem.

> However you solve this in the language file, you will STILL get this problem
> in the software as sometimes it is just impossible to make a phrase to fit
> within the 11 characters and still mean something that the user will
> understand.

You are right. I'm just solving those cases where an abb. in one language is
better to have for the player, but not for the recorder nor every language.

Looking in the lang-files I can see:
  id: LANG_BUFFER_STAT_PLAYER
  eng: "Buf: %d.%03dMB"

 id: LANG_BUFFER_STAT_RECORDER
 eng: "Buffer: %d.%03dMB"

Here we/someone felt that the english language needed two versions (and
different code). I guess this is the case for every language we support and
that my suggestion would be the easiest help in those obvious cases.

  // Kjell