Subject: Re: Length of Players' strings in language files
From: Kjell Ericson (
Date: 2003-05-21

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> This is also an example of where Recorder-users who use a biggish font won't
> see any more of the text than you Player-users.

Then they can load the player language file :-)

> I'd suggest that we mark the files according to model (in the binary header)
> and then refuse to load the "wrong" kind in the software.

Sleeping on this, I would say no. The two versions are compatible, we should
only load-protect things that are incompatible (and can make Rockbox crash).

A big-font-recorder-owner might want short texts as you write above.

But maybe it's wrong to have "new-player" in the file, maybe "new-short" is
better (?). Same thing anyway...

  // Kjell