Subject: RE: Rockbox Intellectual Property question
From: Jonah, Jim (Jim.Jonah_at_compuware.com)
Date: 2003-05-21

true.

But, one would have thought they'd find that the Netscape browser supported
frames TWO YEARS before the request for the patent on "static navigation
over dynamic pages" submitted.

It seems that it's the gold rush right now in patent land. He who applies
first seems to win, even though the law says he who invented first and
applies within one year should win. However, once the patent is awarded it's
up to a court fight, which is expensive. So, to me (not a lawyer) it seems
that if you have a good idea and want to protect it, apply for a patent,
otherwise you may find yourself, several years later, having to pay for a
license to your own idea!

Look at the shopping cart patent, the DNS lookup patent (sheesh!), etc.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic for the purpose of this list, sorry...

Jim