Subject: Re: XP USB problems
From: Brian Wolven (
Date: 2003-05-21

Jon Drukman wrote:
> At 02:06 AM 5/21/2003, wrote:
>>> I can confirm the restarts, and it's the messy kind too. It only
>>> happens to me when I am not extremely careful (and only in XP):
>> For me, it happens each time I try to do something with XP and my
>> jukebox...
> XP SP 1 + JBR 20 here - no problems at all. i wonder if it has
> something to do with the USB controllers on the motherboard.

I have XP and a JBR20 also, and can plug and unplug the JBR at will
(without 'stopping' it) with no difficulties. The only thing I can recall
checking is to make sure that write caching is NOT enabled for the JBR. On
win2k, I get error messages if I unplug without stopping first.
Unfortunately, it only permits me to stop the JBR about 30-40% of the
time. Usually it says "This device cannot be stopped". So I unplug it
anyway. =) I get the little "you've been a bad user" dialog warning box,
but nothing happens most of the time. It caused win2k to reboot once out
of the ~200 times I've done this.