Subject: Re: XP USB problems
From: Neon John (johngd_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 2003-05-21

On Wed, 21 May 2003 09:09:21 -0700, Jon Drukman <jsd_at_cluttered.com> wrote:

>At 02:06 AM 5/21/2003, romain.gardon_at_srbrest.com wrote:
>> > I can confirm the restarts, and it's the messy kind too. It only happens
>> > to me when I am not extremely careful (and only in XP):
>>
>>For me, it happens each time I try to do something with XP and my jukebox...
>
>XP SP 1 + JBR 20 here - no problems at all. i wonder if it has something
>to do with the USB controllers on the motherboard.

I've been wondering the same thing. XP and the Jukebox work so well together
on this Dell laptop. I can say that the system did gripe a bit when I plugged
the rockbox into the built-in USB 1 port. It worked but XP complained about
there being a 2.0 device plugged into a 1.1 port. It was so slow that the day
after I got the Jukebox I bought a Belkin USB 2 PCMCIA card. This card came
with custom drivers and works perfectly.

I'm also wondering if some people might be having problems from an OS polluted
by numerous programs being installed and removed in the past. This machine is
a business machine and thus is fairly static. No software experimenting done
on it.

I also on occasion use the Rockbox on my Win98-based network server. It has a
no-name chinese USB-2 card installed. Also works perfectly after the Archos
Win98 drivers were installed.

First thing I'd do if I ever had any problems would be to de-install the USB
drivers. I posted how to do that several days ago. This will make
Plug'n'Pray re-install drivers from inventory.

John

---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net