Subject: Re: Long recordings - Audible books
From: ajf (ajf_at_midmaine.com)
Date: 2003-05-21

I play the book on the PC and record from the soundcard overnight using
Audiotools, which has a very nice tracking feature. I choose a minimum
track length of 40 minutes. Audiotools will create a new file any time
after that, if it detects 1.5 seconds of silence. Both "40 minutes" and
"1.5 seconds" are parameters that I chose: YMMV. Audiotools automatically
numbers the files sequentially. I record to mp3 using a CBR of 96kbps and
sampling at 22050 kHz in mono -- more than adequate quality for spoken word,
but economical in space consumption on my JBR 10. I start with Audible
Format 3 because it is considerably cleaner than 2, and half the size of 4.

I also set a recording time limit of 5 minutes longer than the full length
of the book as given by Audible, so that I don't record a long period of
silence at the end.

I direct the files into a new folder set up for each book. In the morning,
I apply tags to all the files in the folder, using mp3bookhelper. Then I
attach the USB cable and move the folder to the JBR.