Subject: Removing drivers
From: Neon John (
Date: 2003-05-22

On Wed, 21 May 2003 23:44:16 -0400, "Frank Incensed"
<> wrote:

>Thanks for the tip, I will try it, but still would like to deinstall the
>driver that is there currently first

Control panel->system->hardware->device manager

Make sure the Archos is plugged in.

Scroll down to the "USB devices". Find the device for the player and delete
it. The XP driver is "USB Mass Storage Device". Unplug the Archos and
reboot. If you see any placeholder or generic devices, delete them too before

"generic volume"s or anything that look like Archos related. These probably
won't be there but just in case.

When you plug the archos back in, plug'n'pray will detect the new hardware and
load the appropriate drivers.

The windows driver is:

If you still have problems, retrieve this driver from the XP distribution

If you right-click on the "USB Mass Storage Device", you'll see that there are
several options including updating the driver and viewing its properties and
signature. I >think< you can have XP update the driver from microsoft over
the web but I'm not sure.

A note of general advice: USB devices are an area where you absolutely MUST
read the directions before installing anything or even plugging the device in.
If you do it in the wrong sequence, you'll end up doing system level work like
this to remedy the problem. Some devices require the driver be installed
first, some require the device to be plugged in before installing the driver
and some use the windows supplied driver and require only plugging in (jukebox
is in this category.)

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN