Subject: RE: Flash ROM survey wrapup, boot ROM research
From: idc-dragon_at_gmx.de
Date: 2003-05-23

> I really appreciate your effort to get rockbox into rom, but how much
> time do you expect to save this way? I did a quick test: it takes about
> 15s to boot rockbox and about 12s to boot directly from rom without any
> ajbrec.ajz.

I consider these 12s a fault of the original firmware, that's what's to be
replaced. By now we have no clue what the firmware is doing within that time,
I think Rockbox could do better.

> There's not a big difference because you have to spin up the
> harddisk anyway to look for an alternative ajbrec.ajz. When the disk is
> running, loading it into ram is done quickly.

Spinning up the disk takes no more than 3 seconds. If this will be the very
first thing which "ROMBox" will do, all other inits while that's is in
progress, we can cut the corners pretty good...

> Just my thoughts...

Thanks for worrying ;-)
I prefer to find out first.

Greetings,