Subject: I'm unable to make a decision; please decide for me.
From: TP Diffenbach (rockbox_at_diffenbach.org)
Date: 2003-05-26

I need to get a bigger hard drive for my Archos. I've filled up the 20GB with the help of emusic.com, and I want more music still. As a temporary expediency, I've removed my complete copy of the the Ring Cycle (14 hours of German singing), but that can't last. And no, I don't want to juggle music on and off the archos; the whole point of the archos is to allow me to NOT plan ahead what I want to listen to.

It's taken me about 8 months to fill the 20 GB; as emusic's gone with a bigger (higher bitrate) format, I expect the next 20 GB will take about six months.

So a 60GB drive will give me a year, an 80 GB drive a year and a half, before being filled.

Here's what I can't figure: do I get a Fujitsu 60GB with noise reduction, or a Hitachi 80GB without the noise reduction?

In giving me your decision, take into account that I'll probably want more space when whatever drive I get is full, which means having faith that in a (year, year and a half) there will be reasonably priced 120GB 2.5 inch hard drives.

Oh, and I've not heard the Fujitsu drive, so I can't tell how much the noise is reduced.

Which drive would you get, and why?

Thanks,
Tom

--