Subject: Re: I'm unable to make a decision; please decide for me.
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2003-05-27

No, it is not correct. MP3-Pro encodes additional high frequency
components into the file in a way that does not affect standard MP3
players, but the additional information can only be decoded by an MP3PRO
capable player.

You can get a (very) basic idea of how it is done and the restrictions
involved here:

The only portable players that I know of that currently support mp3PRO
are the RCA Lyra players. Not sure which models.