Subject: Re: text viewer patch, RAM & battery life
From: Garrett Derner (GaryD_at_AdFreeInternet.com)
Date: 2003-05-29

From: "Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se>
>On Tue, 27 May 2003, Garrett Derner wrote:
>>
>>...How much DRAM can I use, without hogging it from other
>> nerds? ...
>
>You must remember that everyone who uses Rockbox wants as much memory as
>possible to use for mp3 buffering. So, every extra byte you use for other
>buffers will decrease the mp3 buffer and thus shorten the battery life a
>little...

Ok, so it's a balancing act. Every 1% less battery time means the unit
shuts down a couple minutes sooner.

I did some tests to help quantify the performance hit:
http://www.adfreeinternet.com/~garyd/rockbox/buftest.html

I am thinking that about 12k of buffer will greatly improve the viewer,
while keeping about 99% performance.

Garrett