Subject: Re: Jump scroll feature for player

Re: Jump scroll feature for player

From: Remo Hofer <remo.nospam_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 17:12:48 +0200

Kjell Ericson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003, Remo Hofer wrote:
>
>> From the description of this feature (I've not yet tested it), it
>> should default to off, because the slow scrolling has less potential
>> to confuse a new user. And a user who cares about scrolling will
>> find the option anyway.
>
> I totaly agree in your theory about confisuing new users.
>
> Please test it and share your view then.

I did now, and to be honest, I don't like jump scrolling at all. The
best setting I found was a "Jump Delay" of 1000 ms. Otherwise I could
not follow the text. But my soft "Scroll Speed" is 9 Hz which is not so
much slower than jump scrolling (11/1000 ms = 11 Hz) with it's confusing
look. For me, it looks like an artefact while loading the string. So, I
vote for turning off jump scrolling by default.

Maybe the fact that all my filenames consist only of only the track
number followed by the title help living without this feature. My
directories are named after the artist and album. The only place, where
I see long strings scolling, is in the wps. My first line in the wps
config is:
%s%pp/%pe: %?it<%it|%fn> - %?ia<%ia|%d2> - %?id<%id|%d1>

Or maybe I'm just a slow reader.

Remo