Subject: Re: Installing A Patch

Re: Installing A Patch

From: c s <rb_dev_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:03:04 -0700 (PDT)

> thanx a lot man i appreciate it
> now if i can find a way to mod the archos so that it
> turns
> on when i start my car....
>
> CJ

You're welcome. As the documentation states, when you
turn off the car ignition, the Archos does not turn
off but only goes into pause mode and lets the
existing Idle Poweroff function take care of shutdown,
so what I do is use a long Idle Poweroff setting such
as 30 minutes. That way when I shut the car off for a
short stop at the store, playback *is* started back up
automatically when I start my car. Using long Idle
Poweroff settings isn't really a problem since you are
constantly charging the batteries while you are
driving (assuming that you are not using the deep
discharge option on the Recorder).

There is a fairly simple hardware hack that can be
done without having to open the Archos case and modify
the Archos hardware which could possibly be used to
keep the Archos in an even longer extended “powered up
standby” mode using car battery power. Depending on
the current draw, standby modes of many hours might be
possible.

There are probably better hacks that will allow you to
remotely control the power on function if you are
willing to open up and modify the Archos hardware, but
if you have the ability and are willing do that, you
probably don’t need my software hack for controlling
playback stop & start.

=====
Craig

rb_dev_at_yahoo.com