Subject: Re: rockbox and the player of archos...questions

Re: rockbox and the player of archos...questions

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:40:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Martin wrote:

> 1) I have heard that you can wake up with music with the recorder (FM) is
> that with the rockbox driver or the original

Rockbox is not a driver, it is a full replacement firmware. Rockbox doesn't
yet offer this feature.

> 2) How is it with recharge, is the recharging process different on the
> studio then on the recorder...

There are three (3) different Archos models. We tend to refer to them as
'the player', 'the recorder' and 'the fm recorder'.

The player and the fm recorders have the charging done by hardware, but the
plain recorder version is controlled by Rockbox itself.

> 3) Can i have it on recharge all the time

Yes you can.

> do i need to take out the batteries

To do what?

> can it run without batteries

No. It always runs on batteries.

> 4) Is there anything rockbox have done about the rechargeprocess.

Yes, we make charging possible on recorders. On the other models there's
nothing Rockbox can do about it.

> and what have you (they) done about saving the battery....concrete

Read the source. To mention a few: we use an as big buffer as possible, spin
down the disk quickly after the chunks are read and attempting to keep dirs
in memory when browsing dirs.

> 5) How sturdy is the player of archos...are they liability to
> damage....moisture and sunexposure

I'd say similar to other products of its kind.

> 6) Is it easy to change harddrive and batteries on the recorder FM, exactly
> like the archos studio

You can't change batteries on the FM yourself, as you can't get any
replacement ones, but changing harddrive is similar to how its done on other
units.