Subject: Re: rockbox and the player of archos...questions

Re: rockbox and the player of archos...questions

From: Martin <martindavidsson_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:43:11 +0200

okej i go for a recorder because you have done the firmware to recharge the
batteries ;)

and i think that deep discharge will protect the batteries (not saving
batteries as I did say earlier,wrong of me),
instead of just recharge everytime you put the cable in the unit....on the
"FM recorder" and the "the player".........
on the "recorder" the recharging process will begin when the batteries is
totally empty or......when you have selected deep discharge......

"Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Martin wrote:

> ......Verkar som du är svensk så då kan jag nog pratas svenska :)

*I* am swedish, yes, and a few others are as well, but this list has 388
subscribers at this point and the swedish speakers are but a small minority.

Please stick to english on this list.

> Jag vill ha en spelare som inte brännar batterierna,konstant står och
> laddar

If you're concerned about getting a unit that "doesn't constantly charging"
then I think you should forget getting a unit, since I have firm belief most
units work the same. People want the unit charged when they unplug and leave
home.

So why charge it all the time?

> Hur fungerar det att ladda spelarna. Har läst om att det finns deep
> discharge osv.

Rockbox on recorder offers Deep discharge, yes, see the manual for details.

> Hur fungerar laddningen på olika modeller, hur styrs laddningen med "FM
> recorder:n"

The charging is not controlled by Rockbox on the FM recorder, I told you.

> skydda batterierna från att bli heta (ladda när dom är laddade)

We don't protect the batteries from getting hot, we can't do that. We use a
charging algorithm on the Recorder that we think is sensible and that has
proved to work for a while now.

I agree that the battery faq could explain that algorithm in somewhat more
detail.

> Hur skiljer sig laddningarna från att styras av hårdvara jämfört med
> mjukvara

When the batteries are charged by hardware, we don't know what they do and
how they charge, we can only measure and guess. Mostly we haven't really
cared or bothered about that since there's nothing we can do about it.

> är det något ni saknar att kunna styra över,vad har förbättras med att
> recordern kontrolleras av hårdvaran när det gäller laddningen

The recorder is the ONLY one that isn't controlled by hardware for charging,
and since there was no hardware charging we did it in software. We could add
a few options because of this that the other models don't, that's the main
difference I can think of right now.