Subject: RE: Digital Out & RCU

RE: Digital Out & RCU

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 18:25:43 +0100

> > I recently connected my JBR20 to my HiFi (seemed like a good
> > solution for a party)
> > The sound quality is truly AWFUL!
>
>I hava a JBR20, too, and I get a clean, good sound when I connect it to
>my HiFi.
>What were your sound settings? For a line input like your HiFi you need
>a volume level of about 92 and more or less flat sound settings.

Whey hey :) Yes, thank you.
I have now installed Rockbox 2.0 and flattened all the levels (actually I
have bass, but I think my biggest mistake was my concern of turning the
volume up that high.
I have done as you said and my HiFi is now sounding great.

> > There is a socket on the JB20 labelelled "digital in/out"
> > ...so I plugged an optical cable into this socket to see
> > if it would improve things (I suppose I am trying to
> > bypass the internal amp). I got NOTHING out of this
> > socket.
>
>By using this socket you bypass the internal DA-converter and the
>internal amp. But this digital in/out is not optical, it's electrical.
>If you have no electrical digital in on your HiFi Amp, you'll need a
>small electrical to optical converter box.

Please ignore everything below this paragraph.
I had a couple more Q's, but someone has just written a new FAQ entry,
which answers everything I was going to ask.
So this now just says "Thank You" to those who took a little of their time
to help me :)

BC

--------------------------
What I *was* going to say
--------------------------

Also to thank Linus here for a similar comment.

My amp has several optical and coaxial inputs, but I only have RCA-RCA
(Phono) coaxial cables.
I have never heard of a 3.5mm coax cable before! (Yes, I live in a cave ;))
However, now that I know they exist, I have been completely unable to
locate one.
Does anyone know a place that sells these (3.5mm->RCA Coax) cables? Maybe
in the UK, but anywhere that will ship to the UK will be great :)

Last Question. I presume that the data stream from the coax socket is PCM?
I suppose my question would be: Is the digital-out post or pre MP3 decoder?
...my amp does NOT do MP3 decompression :( ...I nearly bought one that
did, but to get MP3 *and* good sound quality was too many £'s in the end :(

Thanks guys :)

BC