Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:30:18 +0200

Martin wrote:

> endlich one good answer from a roxbox guy :)
>
> but what happens to the fm recorder when you play ....connected to
> the AC does it live (another word for eating:) on batteries or AC

It needs the batteries for the hard drive spinup. The AC adapter can't
deliver enough current to spin it up. However, it will charge the
batteries continuously. It is supposed to keep the batteries full, as
long as the drive doesn't run all the time.

> and what happens when the recorder is fully charged.....how do you
> know when the batteries is full.... you stop charge it when you think
> the batteries is full or...what if the batteries is not full....and
> vice versa about start the recharge again (if deep discharge is on)

Are you talking about the FM recorder here? Then don't bother about the
deep discharge option (which isn't present on the hardware-controlled FM
recorder).

On the ordinary recorder, we use the negative delta method to see if the
charging is done, except if you reinsert the charger immediately after a
complete charge (while the batteries are still warm).

It is probably best to read the source code if you want to know the gory
details about the Recorder charging algorithm.

If you want to know more about the LTC1734, read the data sheet. It is
on the data sheet page on the Documentation section on the Rockbox site.

> it would be very good if you wrote something more inte the faq
> (batteries) ....much more....

You are by far the most inquisitive person yet regarding the battery
charging. Sure, we can add more to the FAQ, but not until we feel that
we really need it. We have lots of other things to do, like fixing bugs
and coding new features.

- Don't ask me more about the FM Recorder charging algorithm. I don't
really care that much about how it works, because I can't affect it anyway.

- If you have questions about the Recorder algorithm, please be
specific, so I can give you better answers. Or even better, read the
source code.

Linus