Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 13:16:07 -0400

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:28:38 +0100 , Tom Sustins <tom.sustins_at_bbc.co.uk> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me exactly WHY you can not change the batteries in the FM
>Recorder. What is the difference? Also is this true that you can not
>upgrade the HDD on the FMR? Please help me out as I'd rather send my FMR
>back and get one that can upgrade batteries and HDD

The battery CAN be changed out. Simply pop off the end and shake it out.
Archos won't sell you a replacement but there are a number of companies here
in the US that can make a replacement for you. The battery appears to be two
smaller ones heat shrunk together. No big deal.

The hard drive can indeed be changed.

<mini rant> (not aimed at you Tom)

I'm having a very hard time understanding this anti-FM discussion and rumor.
This LiIon battery is FREEDOM. Freedom from worrying about battery life.
Freedom from having to carry around a pocket or bag full of batteries.
Freedom from overnight recharges. freedom from battery maintenance. Light
weight. Now that I've replaced my main digicam with a LiIon powered one and
have gotten this FM recorder, I'm liberated from my collection of NiMH
batteries. It's wonderful.

The LiIon battery has enabled Archos to build a small, fairly streamlined unit
that can comfortably be carried in a shirt pocket, at least for a tall guy
like me. I don't even notice it in my hip pocket. Again, wonderful.

</mini rant>

yesterday I did some fairly heavy file processing on the FM Recorder and
forgot to plug in the power to my PCMCIA USB2 adapter. I ran the battery
fully down so that the unit cut off a few minutes after starting listening. I
decided to time the recharge. Yesterday I had also bought a 6 volt 1 amp
universal (switchmode) adapter from Rat Shack) for my desk so I could put the
original wall wart in my portable bag. I decided to time the recharge. In
the first hour the indicator had gone from 0 to 66%. In the second hour it
read 99%. I then listened to an audio book for about 6 hours and the
indicator was down to only 52%. I therefore conclude that I can replace a
useful amount of energy in an hour.

The 1 amp power adapter charged significantly faster than the stock unit. My
infrared pyrometer indicated very slight additional heating. This is very
much a win.

John
---
John De Armond