Subject: digital I/O FAQ - new version

digital I/O FAQ - new version

From: Andreas Stemmer <Andreas.Stemmer_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 19:23:54 +0200

I checked several web pages and think that tip=left=white is the more
common pinout. At least all my cables and my headphones are wired this
way.
btw: sorry for my poor english, I hope it is nevertheless
understandable. Correct it if necessary.

Here's an updated version:

Question:
74. There's a digital I/O connector on my jukebox. What is it good for?

Answer:
The recorder and FM recorder models have a connector for digital audio
output using the common S/PDIF standa1rd (Sony/Phillips Digital
Interface). This jack is not present on the Studio/Player models. By
using the digital output in combination with high class external
equipment, you can get much better sound quality out of your jukebox,
because you can use better DA-converters and better amplifiers. The
recorder (not the FM recorder) is able to record from digital sources,
too. The digital inputs don't have the 15kHz lowpass filter like the
analog inputs and you are sure to minimize the noise floor.
Generally, S/PDIF can be an electrical or an optical signal and there
are many devices that support both. There are even small 3.5mm sockets
that can take either an optical or an electrical cable. But the socket
on the jukebox is for electrical signals only!
If you want to connect your amp with digital input (RCA type) to the
output of your jukebox you need an adapter cable (3.5mm stereo jack to
dual RCA jack). Plug the 3.5mm stero jack into the digital I/O socket of
your jukebox and the red RCA jack (right channel) into the digital input
socket of your amp and that's it. You don't have to enable the digital
output. The sound settings on the digital output are always flat, your
volume, bass, treble, bass boost, loudness settings won't have any
effect here.
For recording digital signals, use the white RCA jack (left channel) and
plug it into the digital output of your CD player, MD player or
whatever. Don't forget to select digital input in the recording
settings.
If you want to connect devices with optical inputs/outputs, you need a
small converter box which converts your signal from electrical to
optical (for digital output) respectively optical to electrical (for
digital recording).
Note that there exist some adapter cables with different color coding,
so if output doesn't work the red jack try the white RCA jack, too. The
tip of the 3.5mm jack is the digital input, the ring is the ouput.