Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

From: Vincent Kujala <kujala_at_geog.ubc.ca>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:15:07 -0700

Yeah, I can remove my JBR FM20 battery quite easily. I'm
sure it won't be long before some enterprising individual
offers replacement batteries if Archos won't.

My battery is labeled 1100mAh 4.2V - it has a thin foil
wrap holding two individual cells together (in parallel).
I customized my copy of CVS code to default 1100mAh (can't
down scroll from CVS-030530 default 1500mAh).

I typically get 6-8 hours playback time, slightly less than
4 hours recording time. If I leave it plugged in overnight
it tends to heat up near the power connection - I've installed
an AC timer to switch on/off at 1 hour on, 1 hour off for long
overnight recording sessions. I'm concerned that overcharging
might fatique some of the power regulation circuitry if not the
battery (pure speculation here). I'm trusting the Lithium Ion
battery will stand up to this charge/discharge cycle - otherwise
I'll be shopping around for a new battery before too long.

As for replacing the hard drive, muchas gracious to the list
for earlier discussions ("quiet drives"). I know I have to
unsolder the tin cover plate to extract the drive - warrantee
violation I'm sure, whatever. If you can't handle a soldering
iron and/or you're squimish about warrantees don't bother.
I nearly blew something up when I forgot to remove the battery
and my iron slipped onto a capacitor (spark!) - I'll know
better next time.

I do my bit to advertise RockBox, all my friends know how
cool I think this project is. They might even think about
buying an Archos if/when they buy a recorder/player.

--
later,
Vincent Kujala (http://www.geog.ubc.ca/~kujala)