Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:39:37 +0200

Neon John wrote:
> The battery CAN be changed out. Simply pop off the end and shake it out.
> Archos won't sell you a replacement but there are a number of companies here
> in the US that can make a replacement for you. The battery appears to be two
> smaller ones heat shrunk together. No big deal.

No big deal? Sure, you can pay a battery manufacturer to make a custom battery for you. How much will that cost? Buying new NiMH AAs (with more capacity than the LiIon) costs a few bucks each.

> I'm having a very hard time understanding this anti-FM discussion and rumor.

You are mistaking the anti-custom-non-replacable-battery as anti-fm discussion.

> This LiIon battery is FREEDOM. Freedom from worrying about battery life.
> Freedom from having to carry around a pocket or bag full of batteries.
> Freedom from overnight recharges. freedom from battery maintenance. Light
> weight. Now that I've replaced my main digicam with a LiIon powered one and
> have gotten this FM recorder, I'm liberated from my collection of NiMH
> batteries. It's wonderful.

Well, we obviously have different priorities. For me, standard batteries are a *huge* win over priprietary batteries due to competition between battery manufacturers resulting in lower cost and ever increasing battery capacity. Note that with modern batteries, the "regular" recorders outlast the FM units with several hours.

> I therefore conclude that I can replace a
> useful amount of energy in an hour.

I charge my NiMH batteries fully in an hour using an external charger.

--
Björn