Rockbox mail archive
Subject: Re: [ rockbox-Patches-723682 ] file search (grep)
From: Remo Hofer (remo.nospam_at_gmx.net)
Comment By: Bjorn Stenberg (zagor)
> Comment By: Remo Hofer (remo_hofer)
>> I'd like to enhance this idea to search also "some" id3
>> tag information. This could be done by supporting the
>> winamp #EXTM3U playlist format for searching.
>> Create playlist could also be enhanced to optionally
>> create the #EXTINF comments. Yes, I know this could
>> be slow, but it's only an option and the playlists could
>> also be created on the pc. A small perl script in the
>> rockbox distribution could do the trick.
> I dislike polluting the clean and simple .m3u format with file
> metadata. A real id3 search feature should scan and index
> mp3 files, not use hacked .m3u files.
I tend to agree, but:
- Playlists are convenient for searching filenames.
- For searching the tags, we need some index format anyway, so
why not extend the one we use for filenames
- The winamp playlist format seems to be wide spread
<http://www.google.com/search?q=%23EXTM3U> finds several
different mp3 player and perl modules to handle these comments.
- We can use 3rd party software (e.g. winamp) to crate the index.
- We can use the index in 3rd party software as well.
- We clutter playlists (in a backward compatible way).
- Not all of the tag info are available in the EXTM3U comment.
(But can be extended a 2nd time with some other comment, if
- A custom index format could be designed that is esier to be parsed.
Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew