Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM
From: Neon John (
Date: 2003-06-05

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:39:37 +0200, Björn Stenberg <> wrote:

>Neon John wrote:
>> The battery CAN be changed out. Simply pop off the end and shake it out.
>> Archos won't sell you a replacement but there are a number of companies here
>> in the US that can make a replacement for you. The battery appears to be two
>> smaller ones heat shrunk together. No big deal.
>No big deal? Sure, you can pay a battery manufacturer to make a custom battery for you. How much will that cost? Buying new NiMH AAs (with more capacity than the LiIon) costs a few bucks each.

Companies like Yost ("Mr NiCad"), Battery Express and the like will put
together replacement batteries, generally for less than what the OEM charges.
I use Yost all the time for one-off custom batteries. I'd guess that this one
would cost under $50. Probably less than $35 since it doesn't have any sort
of sensor in it.

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN