Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

From: Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:47:38 -0400

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 16:58:12 -0400, Neon John wrote:

>NO!!! Fergodsakes, before you give out advice on LiIon batteries, at
>least read up on the things. This control chip manages the battery as
>it needs to be managed. It does NOT hurt a LiIon battery to do a low
>trickle charge. It does NOT hurt a LiIon battery to shallow discharge
>it. There is NOTHING to do other than plug the unit in and forget about
>it. All you'd by putting the unit on a timer is allow the battery
>dicharge a little, as there is a small drain to maintain the memory and
>operate the clock.
>
>John --- John De Armond johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net
>http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/ Cleveland, Occupied TN

Wow. So Sony was feeding me a line when they told me that it was my
fault that the LiIon in my notebook "died"? They said because I left it
plugged in all the time (basically using the notebook as a desktop
replacement and the battery as a "UPS") that caused the battery to go.

The stinkin' things are like $250. I can't afford to be replacing them
every 8 months or so. But I think they must be right or the battery
design is crap, because I just "killed" a second one about a month ago.
I'm just going to get a UPS and save some money.

Chris