Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:31:55 -0400

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:47:38 -0400, Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net> wrote:

>Wow. So Sony was feeding me a line when they told me that it was my
>fault that the LiIon in my notebook "died"? They said because I left it
>plugged in all the time (basically using the notebook as a desktop
>replacement and the battery as a "UPS") that caused the battery to go.

My first thought is, that's what you get for buying anything Sony.

More to the point, I have no idea how Sony implemented their battery
management. Sony is famous for killing rechargeable batteries. My MD
recorder is an example. It killed the NiMH battery in months. I built an
external charger for the chewing gum type battery and had no further problems.
OTOH, My Dell stays plugged in all the time and it's battery is still doing
just peachy after about 9 months. It only costs $100 when I need a new one.

None of this is relevant to the FM recorder, however, as we DO know how the
battery management is done in it. We know (or at least I do because I've used
that chip before) that the LTC1734 management chip does a fine job. It's not
my favorite chip but it works OK. There ARE some small deficiencies in the
Archos design, such as incomplete thermal compensation, but they're reasonable
tradeoffs for a device that will spend most of its life in a climate
controlled environment.

of course you don't have to take my word for it. I'm just a l'il ole
consulting engineer specializing in battery systems but what the hell do I
know? Why don't you make the same measurements for yourself that I have.
This is all I have to say on the battery topic.

John
---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net