Subject: Re: High kbps/Low kbps power consumption
From: Neon John (
Date: 2003-06-06

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 19:39:08 -0400 (EDT), <> wrote:

>Other than this problem, it's a really cool little player/recorder. My
>only other small grip is that it doesn't have a true microphone jack. Even
>with an amplified mic, the recording is 'soft', not very loud. Very hard
>to do talks and lectures recording.
>Someone told me that the JBR fm 20 has a mic setting for the jack. Is that

By "mic setting", do you mean "does it have a level control for the input
jack?" The answer is yes. It is a fairly high level input, not true "line
level" but higher than the nominal dynamic mic output so you'd need an
external preamp.

That said, the built-in mic is most amazing. It very much reminds me of the
performance of my pro PZM mics. I suspect that it is taking advantage of the
pressure zone phenomena.

My friend who bought an FM recorder right after I did is the job steward in a
union shop. He uses his to secretly record management encounters. Even with
the thing in his shirt pocket and recording through the cloth the clarity is
amazing. In conferences he sets it on the conference table and piles papers
around it. The result is easily as good as those high end conference phone

Drop me a note off-list if you like and I'll be happy to send you a short
recording. I have a conference room at my restaurant that approximates a
classroom. I can set the FM recorder on a table and then go to the front of
the room and "lecture" :-)

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN