Subject: Re: High kbps/Low kbps power consumption
From: Brent Geery (fasttimes_at_mochamail.com)
Date: 2003-06-06

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 17:37:12 -0400, Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> I have very good ears and I can't hear the difference between the original CD
> and 192kbps even on my mid-level home system playing directly from the
> computer. I certainly can't hear the difference once the sound goes through
> the Archos' audio output circuit and then through headphones, even my
> PortaPros. It is a waste of space and processing power to put anything above
> 128kbps on the Archos, unless perhaps you're using the digital out to a high
> end system.

If 128kb/s is transparent to you, your ears are far from "very good".

> I store all my rips at 192kbps on my computer. I downsample to 128kbps for
> the Archos using CDex and LAME. On this 2 gig machine the process is quite
> rapid. Since I have the disc space I simply maintain two file trees, one for
> the original rips and one for the archos.

If 128kb/s transcoded again from 192kb/s is transparent to you, your
ears are *really* far from "very good"!

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info http://www.FastTimesAtRidgemontHigh.org Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films