Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM
From: Brent Geery (fasttimes_at_mochamail.com)
Date: 2003-06-06

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:47:38 -0400, Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 16:58:12 -0400, Neon John wrote:
>
> >NO!!! Fergodsakes, before you give out advice on LiIon batteries, at
> >least read up on the things. This control chip manages the battery as
> >it needs to be managed. It does NOT hurt a LiIon battery to do a low
> >trickle charge. It does NOT hurt a LiIon battery to shallow discharge
> >it. There is NOTHING to do other than plug the unit in and forget about
> >it. All you'd by putting the unit on a timer is allow the battery
> >dicharge a little, as there is a small drain to maintain the memory and
> >operate the clock.
> >
> >John --- John De Armond johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net
> >http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/ Cleveland, Occupied TN
>
> Wow. So Sony was feeding me a line when they told me that it was my
> fault that the LiIon in my notebook "died"? They said because I left it
> plugged in all the time (basically using the notebook as a desktop
> replacement and the battery as a "UPS") that caused the battery to go.
>
> The stinkin' things are like $250. I can't afford to be replacing them
> every 8 months or so. But I think they must be right or the battery
> design is crap, because I just "killed" a second one about a month ago.
> I'm just going to get a UPS and save some money.
>
> Chris

Chris, buy a cheap UPS (Staples just had an Energizer UPS for $10
after rebate) and remove the battery when on AC power. It's the only
way to save the battery life, but still have the safety of a UPS.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info http://www.FastTimesAtRidgemontHigh.org Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films