Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 17:22:42 -0400

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 13:54:34 -0700, Brent Geery <fasttimes_at_mochamail.com>
wrote:

>These things are on sell all the time in various ads. I picked up the
>$10 Energizer UPS I mentioned (price was too good to pass up). I'm
>going to replace the tin 3.7AH battery with an external 56AH Battery
>pack (I have them from another prject.) Just add an "extension" from
>the wires on the UPS to the external battery. I calculated that I'll
>get 30+ hours of runtime on the UPS alone.

Probably not. Most of these little 10 and 20 minute standby units lack the
thermal management to run continuously. The design relies on the battery
running down before enough heat builds up inside the unit to matter. I know
this to be the case for the little Tripp-Lite unit I use to back up the
registers in my restaurant. I simply cut some holes in the case and added a
muffin fan, along with larger batteries.

This is at least something to be aware of as you experiment.

John

---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net