Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM
From: Brent Geery (
Date: 2003-06-08

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 17:22:42 -0400, Neon John <>

> On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 13:54:34 -0700, Brent Geery <>
> wrote:
> >These things are on sell all the time in various ads. I picked up the
> >$10 Energizer UPS I mentioned (price was too good to pass up). I'm
> >going to replace the tin 3.7AH battery with an external 56AH Battery
> >pack (I have them from another prject.) Just add an "extension" from
> >the wires on the UPS to the external battery. I calculated that I'll
> >get 30+ hours of runtime on the UPS alone.
> Probably not. Most of these little 10 and 20 minute standby units lack the
> thermal management to run continuously. The design relies on the battery
> running down before enough heat builds up inside the unit to matter. I know
> this to be the case for the little Tripp-Lite unit I use to back up the
> registers in my restaurant. I simply cut some holes in the case and added a
> muffin fan, along with larger batteries.
> This is at least something to be aware of as you experiment.

Yes, I've read this before, but I don't think the ~20-75 watt load on
a 200-300 watt inverter is in an danger of over-heating. But,
something to think about anyway.

BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films