Subject: Re: Patch - virtual file structures

Re: Patch - virtual file structures

From: Owen Sebastian Hofmann <oshofmann_at_amherst.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 01:28:24 -0400

> One thing that would make this a lot more attractive would be an easy to
> use too for creating the virtual dir files. I'm thinking of a tool (on a
> WinDoze box and/or Mac) that would scan the .mp3 files, and create the
> virtual dirs based on the ID3 tags.

You mean something like, say, this?
http;//www.amherst.edu/~oshofmann/categorizer/

Select your rockbox's root directory, select the output file, then start
organizing: Each entry in the list on the left represents a level of
directory. So if the list is
Genre
Year
Artist

The bottom directory has the name of the genres, and within each
directory are the years, and within each of those, the artists. This
outputs a text-format file, which can be translated with the vfsc
program. (Which brings me to something else: Would somebody with
cygwin mind compiling a windows binary?). It's written in java, so it
should work on windows or linux, assuming you have a new enough version
of java. http://java.sun.com/getjava/

One problem: For some reason java seems to stop writing the file after
a while. This is always after having written an integer multiple of
1024 bytes. Everything's fine if you just spit out the text to the
console, but it jams up writing an actual file. Can anybody help me
with this?

owen