RockBox Mentioned on Worldwide Mailing List

From: Bob Jackiewicz 312.986.3418 <chds673_at_clearingcorp.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:01:57 -0500 (CDT)

I was reading a recent issue (May 18) of This Is True
http://www.thisistrue.com, an e-mailed weekly collection of bizarre/funny
stories. In the editorial section I found this blurb:

MY LATEST PROJECT is to "rip" (convert to MP3 files) my CD-based music
  collection. Over the years I've accumulated more than 300 discs. They
  not only take up a fair amount of room, I've found that I rarely bother
  to go get a selection to listen to them anymore.

  But how to make the music *portable*? Well, how about an MP3 player
  that's big enough to hold it ALL? With a 20 GB hard disk, I think the
  Archos jukebox will be able to hold pretty much everything I'd want
  with me. http://microURL.com/archos (Amazon link) shows the little
  cutie, which is a LOT cheaper than the (admittedly very cool) Apple
  iPod. But what sold me on the Archos was this: I found that some
  hackers in Sweden have written a new operating system for it,
  significantly adding to its functionality (and even its battery life!)
  http://rockbox.haxx.se is the URL for that. My player got here this
  afternoon; I'll report later on what I think of it.

The mailing list, as I recall, has over 115,000 subscriptions. So much for
Linus' "Let's not grow the project" comment. :-)

Bob Jackiewicz Board of Trade Clearing Corporation
Systems Administration Bob.Jackiewicz at ClearingCorp dot com