Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

From: Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:57:36 +0200

Hi John!
The battery system of the FMR looks so different from the other
Jukeboxes that the addition of your excellent new topics to the FAQ is
mandatory for the project. As a Recorder user I only have 2
questions/comments and one typo report to make:

>20. "What sort of battery life can I expect"
>
>This is highly dependent on the use and encoding bitrate of the MP3. It can
>range from as little as 4 hours while playing high bitrate (>300kbps) MP3s to
>as long as 14 hours playing 32kbps audio books or similar talk-oriented
>materials. The higher the bit rate the more often the hard drive has to spin
>and thus the shorter the battery life.

Now that I have learnt (sometimes the hard way) that rechargeable
batteries are not eternal I tend to not read "battery life" the way you
use it. Is it not possible to use another expression for what is
actually "usage duration between charging"? I do not know or I do not
remember what other expression would be better and maybe, even, "battery
life" is the normal term for that purpose in English but, if not, you
might consider using an other one.

>22. "Does the USB port supply enough power to run the FMR?"
>
>During playback it is fairly close. While doing disc-intensive activities
>such as copying files onto the FMR, defragmenting the FMR drive, etc, the USB
>port does NOT supply sufficient power. The internal batteries are gradually
>discharged. The use of the external power supply addresses this problem.

Since I am not an FMR user I may be wrong, but is it appropriate to
mention playback while the USB connection is active? For a Recorder or a
Studio/Player that would be irrelevant.

>24. "how to I access the battery?"

This is the typo I was mentioning ("to" for "do").

Cheers. Jean.

Jean Boullier - Rouen - Normandie - France