Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

From: Michael O'Quinn <michael_at_oquinn.info>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:14:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Neon John wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:57:36 +0200, Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi John!
> >The battery system of the FMR looks so different from the other
> >Jukeboxes that the addition of your excellent new topics to the FAQ is
> >mandatory for the project. As a Recorder user I only have 2
> >questions/comments and one typo report to make:
> >
> >>20. "What sort of battery life can I expect"
> >>
> >>This is highly dependent on the use and encoding bitrate of the MP3. It can
> >>range from as little as 4 hours while playing high bitrate (>300kbps) MP3s to
> >>as long as 14 hours playing 32kbps audio books or similar talk-oriented
> >>materials. The higher the bit rate the more often the hard drive has to spin
> >>and thus the shorter the battery life.
> >>
> >Now that I have learnt (sometimes the hard way) that rechargeable
> >batteries are not eternal I tend to not read "battery life" the way you
> >use it. Is it not possible to use another expression for what is
> >actually "usage duration between charging"? I do not know or I do not
> >remember what other expression would be better and maybe, even, "battery
> >life" is the normal term for that purpose in English but, if not, you
> >might consider using an other one.
>
> "battery life" is the normal American term but I see your point. How about
> "How long should I expect the unit to run between charges?"

Unless it really squicks our European (or other continents) folks, I think
"battery life" is the best term. Translators might want to use a
different phrase, but battery life is what we expect in American English.
Does anybody know if it's really different in Queen's English?

Maybe add a bit explaining the longevity of NiMH vs. LIon batteries, if
you want to be complete.

Also, should the question be...

   20. "What sort of battery life can I expect with my FMR?"

In fact, if all of these are FM specific, each question should reference
that since FAQs are often read out of sequence.

But I am mostly nit-picking. This is really a great job!

Michael