Subject: Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM

From: Magnus Holmgren <lear_at_algonet.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:42:15 +0200

Mike Holden wrote:

>> Now, if someone can explain why this happens in the latest builds:
>> my battery indicator is numeric and always goes 0-34-68-100 when
>> plugged in. This didn't happen until I got a build earlier this
>> week. Unplugged it is steady, which is also the way it was before
>> even when plugged in.
>

> This was introduced with the change to status.c (I think) a week or
> so ago. The problem is that some of the code applies to all units
> (player, recorder, FM), and some of it is only relevant where
> HAVE_CHARGE_CTRL is defined (i.e. recorder only, not FM). Hopefully I
> can look at this soon, as I hope to be able to commit some time to
> look at the battery/charging patch again shortly.

I'd say it is relevant for non-recorders also. For a player - which,
like the FM recorder, handles the charging in hardware - it has behaved
like this for quite some time, as an indicator that the charger is
plugged in (during charging, the voltage readings aren't that exact,
IIRC, so it isn't that interesting to show a normal battery meter then).
I can understand if it looks a bit odd in numeric mode (but didn't
someone at least consider making it switch to graphic mode during
charging?). :)

The code in question is quite old, but it was cleaned up a bit recently
(there was different code for the player and the recorder doing the same
thing).

   Magnus