Subject: Re: Serial Mod was: Re: more boot research

Re: Serial Mod was: Re: more boot research

From: <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 05:55:59 +0200 (MEST)

> I was wondering what the serial mod is or how it works.

It is described here, for the player:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mods/serialport.html

In short, you'd be re-wireing the 2 signal pins of the line in jack (hope
the FM has such) to become the RXD1/TXD1 of the CPU. See the datasheet for
which pins that is. Linus' standart is to wire TX to the tip. I didn't find the
mod description very helpful (because my box was different), instead I
followed the signal traces from the CPU to find two nice vias at positions I liked.

To connect it to a PC, you'd then need a level converter, for example this
one (I'm using a different one):
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mods/rs232.html

The main reward of all this is that you can use gdb for in-circuit
debugging. The second will be that you can flash the unit from scratch when I'm done
with my part.

> I might think of doing it to my fm-recorder if it won't utterly destroy
> it.

Depends on your soldering skills ;-)

> After all, it's summer and I've got nothing better to do. :)

Are you on the southern hemisphere, with in fact dark long winter days?

Jörg