Subject: Re: Charging/battery patch (was Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM)

Re: Charging/battery patch (was Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM)

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:02:56 +0100 (BST)

Magnus Holmgren said:
> Mike Holden wrote:
>
>>>Is there any place in the debug menus I can look for this?
>>

>> On the FM, it's the ADC_EXT_POWER value, which is AN7 in the View IO
>> Ports screen. AN0 shows 3FF when not plugged, and hovers around zero
>> when charger is plugged in. AN0 is used to detect charger plugged or
>> not, and I use AN7 to check whether charging is active or not.
>> Basically, have a look to see if any values seem to go up and down
>> with the charger being plugged in and out, and also vary during the
>> charging cycle.
>
> Only AN6 (ADC_UNREG_POWER) changes when the charger is plugged (besides
> PADR, which is used to detect the charger), which already is used to
> read the voltage level.

So I guess we can't tell whether charging is happening, only that he
charger is plugged in?

>> What's the reason we can't use the same icon? Is the char "hardcoded"
>> in the screen LCD map? Is the status line different from the other
>> lines in some way? If we need to create a specific character for this,
>> I would need to call upon the "artistic geniuses" of the list for
>> assistance, as I'm a programmer, not a graphic designer! Do we have
>> any space characters in the character set? Is a short text looking
>> like the better option for this (e.g. "Batt:")
>
> Yes, the icon is hardcoded; the entire status line is (play/pause,
> repeat, single and volume). Below that is two lines of characters (hence
> the name of the define HAVE_LCD_CHARCELL). 4-8 characters (depending on
> player model) can be used for custom characters and Rockbox uses them
> for progress bars and characters the LCD doesn't support by default.

So we have no free characters that we can define then? In that case we
need a short text to describe the item. "Batt: 10h15" gives 11 characters,
which is as wide as we can get on player without inducing scrolling, so
maybe we go with that. For consistency, perhaps we should use the same
text for recorder/FM?

>> To avoid confusion with the clock, I was going to make the time
>> display have an "h" character in place of the ":", so it will look
>> like 10h15.
>
> The player doesn't have a clock, so that wouldn't be a problem there. :)

But the other models do, and I would rather avoid having differences
between the models unless there is a good reason. This is not a good
reason :-)

--
Mike Holden
Rockbox page: http://www.mikeholden.org/~rockbox