Subject: Re: more boot research, and a hidden flash loader for gdb users, FM too
Date: 2003-06-13

I'm answering myself, because I did some more test with an SH simulator:

> So the player doesn't give any boot message? Maybe I'll check with the
> simulator what kind of image gets booted. I think the player would have a
> problem
> generating 115200 Baud, because of its different crystal (no nice divider
> do that).

The Player has no flash loader. The one big and only image getting
descrambled by the ROM is the firmware. It has no 2-stage boot.

> Is there somebody with an FM Recorder and a serial mod?

Just simulated with the FM flash. The FM has the loader, and in a newer
version, too. It is slightly larger and reports:

HLIDE version
Jul 15 2002
Ver : 1.18 JBRR

The root menu seems to have additional entries to read and set software and
hardware version(?), maybe this is the mask value? I only looked in the
binary dump, have not seen this running. Again, anybody with an FM and the serial

So the code is not ancient, Archos seems to use it.

+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more +++