Subject: Re: Free HD space and PANIC

Re: Free HD space and PANIC

From: Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 02:29:37 +0200

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:

> It is actually very simple. All we have to do is search the entire FAT
> for free clusters and sum them up. That takes quite a few seconds,
> depending on the size of the FAT. We have code that does exactly that,
> but only in the debug menu.
>
> If the user accepts this (battery-draining) behaviour, we can change
> that in an instance. But it means that the disk will spin up and
> search the FAT for 5-10 (or more) seconds when the info menu is entered.
>
> Opinions? Comments?
>
> Linus

If I remember well the latest builds of the Archos firmware did that
upon closing a USB session (and before they started to do it one could
have serious trouble with the Jukebox disk management!!!).
If you do it at this time too can you keep track of the correct info
that you have computed and use/maintain it later without having to
recompute it?

While we are on this topic of free space would it be possible to show it
in MB, at least when it is less than 1 GB. I usually run at about 100 MB
free and the current info is very vague...

Cheers. Jean.

--
Jean Boullier - Rouen - Normandie - France