Subject: Re: Charging/battery patch (was Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM)
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2003-06-16

Mike Holden wrote:
> > The problem is we don't know that. We can only read the voltage, which
> > is higher during charging than otherwise.
> Are you talking about the Player specifically here? Surely the value is
> still a reasonable indication of charge. Can we re-scale it a little
> during charging?

Rescaling could work, although we'd need good margins so it never can reach 100% before charging is complete.

> > I don't think i should be flashing. I associate flashing symbols as
> > attention seekers, i.e. "something is wrong, look here".
> What do you suggest instead?

Wild idea: How about making the shell of the battery symbol into "walking ants"? (You know, like selections in graphics programs.)

> It seems like everybody has a different view of how this should be done :-(

Yes, that is the biggest difficulty in working with GUIs...