Subject: Powering on/shutting down Jukebox FM Recorder
From: Sylvain Moisan (
Date: 2003-06-17

This is my first post on the list. My apologies if this question
has been asked and answered previously.

I have just recently bought a Jukebox FM Recorder 20gig. One of the first
thing I did was to install Rockbox. However, I have been having
some problems powering on the unit using Rockbox. Since I have
installed Rockbox as soon as I connected the device, I'm not sure
how it should behave without Rockbox.

Before going any further I must state that the problem I was encoutering
is that pressing "ON" for many seconds (I've been told 5sec), plugging
in the AC adapter or connecting the USB cable resulted most of the
time, in the unit not starting up. I could see the display being
illuminated, hear a feeble sound as if the HD was activated, then
the display would turn blank, turn on again and then nothing. Also,
after pressing the "ON" button for many seconds, we can see the
firmware version and a progress bar. However, when powering off
the unit, most of the time it just goes blank. No "shutdown" message.

Somebody on another list and a Archos tech suggested that this problem
was due to the battery not being fully charged. I completely charged
the battery but the problem is still there.

Before returning the device I decided this morning to remove Rockbox.
 So far, after trying a few times, the unit powers on correctly
and when shutting it down, the "shutdown" message is displayed,
as opposed to when I had Rockbox installed.

Hopefully I described the problem correctly. I was wondering if
this had been reported before. From what I've done this morning,
although the sample is small, it suggests that when using Rockbox
there is something that prevents the unit to shutdown correctly.
 I'll use it during the day and see what happens.

Hopefully this solves my problem as it would be costly for me to
return the unit to Archos. However, I'd really like to use Rockbox
because I like features I had been using in the last week or so.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Sylvain Moisan

____________________________________________________________ Get 25MB of email storage with Lycos Mail Plus! Sign up today --