Subject: Re: AV 120 timer

Re: AV 120 timer

From: TP Diffenbach <rockbox_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:36:53 -0400

Quoting Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>:

Here's the thing. I /might/ be in the market for something like this Archos video recorder. I'm something of a gadget freak: I carry an Archos FM Recorder and a PDA with me wherever I go.

But given what I know of Archos's software quality (it's not great; compared to Rockbox it's pretty bad), there's no way I'll purchase it as long as its internal workings are shrouded in secrecy.

There's a slashdot article today
( http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/19/0137232&mode=nested )
on the failure of the Gemstar e-book; essentially, Gemstar allowed users to buy e-books only from Gemstar, and as a result of the restriction, interest in the product went away, despite the technical strengths of the e-book hardware. Archos seems to be making a similar mistake by limiting what users can do with their products.

--
Archos FM has a Rockbox!