Subject: Installable Modules

Installable Modules

From: Fil Laborde <fil_at_rezox.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:46:15 -0400

I saw that this was in the timeline (2.1 I think?) by Linus but I wanted to
through some thoughts around:

With real-time loadable modules, the whole system could have a LOT more
features and a far more elaborate user-interface because only 1 module would
need to be in memory at a time:
Likely modules:
Player Module
Recorder Module
FM Player (for FM20)
Demo Tetris
Demo Game 2
WSP 1
WSP 2
etc

And of course basic system unit. So then the memory footprint would be much
smaller, no more patches, and no need to keep unused tools
(player/recorder/games/demos/WSPs) in memory, they would be swapped out and
all that memory would be left for buffering IO.

Is this the intent, and can code chunks be swapped out in realtime?

PS I'm partly brainstorming this because I want to know how the kernel is
going to evole thus affecting when I start to develop the
dictaphone/pronunciation tool I'm keep to do!

;)