Subject: Re: RE: Why doesn't Archos buy/use RockBox software?

Re: RE: Why doesn't Archos buy/use RockBox software?

From: Martin Borus <martin_at_borus.de>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:00:38 +0200

rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se schrieb am 21.06.03 14:31:33:

> > But we must remember that the Archos employees probably had less time
> > then we have had to write the original firmware. Plus, they had a
> > deadline and we don't. Their task was to write something that worked
> > OK in a short time.
>
> This answers the question about the past.
>
> But why not use it *now*? Why not switch to a better solution, why not
> support a better solution?

It could be fear of losing control. Also, if they sell it with Rockbox installed, they might
be liable for damages, for example, when someone uses it to make digital recordings of copy
protected CDs... (OK,OK, you can do that with the original firmware using
a trick floating around the net but that's not the same.)

what's worse is it locks Archos to their current hardware basis. While Archos probably
doesn't mind the money from these older/cheaper units, they also want to sell the new mulitmedia machines which do not run Rockbox. If you as a new customer could compare a RockBox powered non-multimedia jukebox to the video playing multimedia model, you might realize the the more expensive unit really lacks a proper interface. This could lead to a lot of
lost sales and damage Archos' credibility regarding firmwares even more.

The unofficial way works so much better - they sell a lot of extra units through word
of mouth without any responsibility at all. Why change that?

UNICEF bittet um Spenden fur die Kinder im Irak! Hier online an
UNICEF spenden: https://spenden.web.de/unicef/special/?mc=021101