Subject: Re: Why doesn't Archos buy/use RockBox software?

Re: Why doesn't Archos buy/use RockBox software?

From: Joris van den Heuvel <joris.bass_at_planet.nl>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:16:34 +0200

Legal and liability issues. When Archos ships the units with Rockbox, they
have to take responsibility for it, and to some degree guarantee that it'll
work, and provide customer service if it doesn't. To do so, they would have
to extensively test Rockbox and they don't have time for that, their
development teams are probably very busy getting the next firmware ready
before the next deadline.

My guess is also that Archos won't sell more units because of Rockbox. So
why waste time on it?

Most companies aren't at all interested in selling a good product. They are
only interested in selling as much as possible of it (can you blame them,
actually?) If it sells, there's no doubt it's a good product. End of story.

My view on things.

Regards,
Joris.