Subject: More Red Led Dead testing

More Red Led Dead testing

From: Bradley Alexander <storm_at_tux.org>
Date: 22 Jun 2003 15:47:36 -0400

Just wanted to throw out the results of my testing on this (I was
originally the one that opened the bug, so I feel like I have a vested
interest in it. =)

I downloaded and installed archos20030616.mod and have been using that
since. I noticed that the Red LED dead is far less frequent than it was
with 2.0. Two weeks ago, running 2.0, I was listening to my JB6000 while
cutting my grass. Mowing on the riding lawn mower, I had fairly constant
RLDs with the Archos in the cargo pocket of my pants, enough so that to
get any consistent music out of it, I had to actually hold it in my hand
and drive one handed. Since I was trying to beat storms, it was pretty
comical leaning and throwing my leg out as a counterbalance, and trying
to keep the Archos perfectly still. In the car on commutes, it actually
got bad enough that the RLD would occur with any angular motion of the
unit, for instance picking it up and turning it so I could see the
display would often cause an RLD.

Today, I was finally able to mow the part I missed the other weekend.
This was the front yard, and I have to do this with the push mower (far
more movement etc from walking). I only had two lockups with it.

I actually think we have been fighting two problems here. The first one
has been fixed, and that is the communication issues with the hard
drive. The second issue, at least with my JB6000, seems to be something
to do with pressure on the rubber bumpers. I can actually get my JB to
shut off by pressing on one or two of them. I'm guessing that it is
pulling the contact away from the battery or something. I further
hypothesize that many of what I thought were RLDs were actually
momentary interruption of the battery contacts, not long enough to
actually cause the unit to shut down, but who's symptoms were very
similar to an RLD.

I will do further testing, but I wanted to extend kudos to all involved
who found this pesky problem. I'll see what I can find out with the
suspected power problem. Thanks again.
--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                |