Subject: RE: Why doesn't Archos buy/use RockBox software?
From: Gordon Gilchrist (
Date: 2003-06-23

-----Original Message-----
From: []On
Behalf Of Brian Wolven
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 1:15 PM

Tony Agee wrote:
> Does anybody here know why a group of enthusiasts could make better
> software than paid employees of Archos?

Probably because the Archos employees don't actually *use* the stuff
they make. The Rockbox guys do - so they care about whether it works or
not. Plus, rumor has it that they're smarter and better looking than the
Archos employees. =P

Your comment is apt. In my career, I developed hardware and software for
airliners, torpedos, medical ultrasound systems, seismographs, Navy ship
monitor and control systems, Air Force reconnaissance radar systems. Rarely
did I ever get to see my products, let alone use them or talk to our
customers. I was always frustrated by the constraints of budget and
schedule. However, I would have loved to work on the Archos.

I am a former musician, retired, crippled with multiple sclerosis. Been
there, done that, can't remember.