Subject: Re: Sound

Re: Sound

From: Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:22:46 -0400

At 07:51 PM 6/27/2003 -0400, joris.bass_at_planet.nl wrote:
>| Has there been a previous discussion on producing sound with the archos
>| firmware?
>
>Isn't the Archos ABOUT sound? It's a music player. Sorry, maybe I'm missing
>the point, but this seems to be a dumb question.
>
>Rockbox could be made to play a beep mp3 when a key is pressed, but the
>music would have to be interrupted to do this. No one has implemented it
>yet, as far as I know.

Well I understood the question to be about _synthesizing_ (generating)
sound as opposed to reproducing sound. That makes it a FAQ
http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/nodo.html, see #9 and #14.

The answer is that it isn't practical to synthesize sound because you would
have to write a MP3 encoder (the DSP doing the playback only understands
MP3). You _can_ record (or off-line encode) your favorite sound and play
them back on demand as part of a game. I would suggest you no try to play
them directly from the disk since you will have spinup and access
delays. To make effective game sounds, you will want to either build the
sound into the game as data (causing size problems) or pre-read the sounds
into a buffer at start time so the sounds are available on demand.

gvb

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and
may be legally privileged or otherwise exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. This e-mail and its files are intended solely for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and their content
is the property of Smiths Aerospace. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the e-mail
administrator at postmaster_at_smiths-aerospace.com and then delete this
e-mail, its files and any copies.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned
for the presence of known computer viruses.

Smiths addresses are changing! The new addresses are of the form
firstname.lastname_at_smiths-aerospace.com. Please update your address
books! Please begin using the new form immediately.